Community Colleges of Spokane – Spokane, WA
Under general supervision of the Director of Compliance & Facility Development, this position is responsible for developing and administering the district’s safety and hazard control programs consistent with state, local and federal laws, district and department procedures, and Board of Trustees policy.
Responsibilities include: providing advice to district staff; conducting investigations, inspections and audits; providing training and presentations; maintaining records; preparing reports; and monitoring and assisting in developing budgets.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan and implement safety and environmental programs for CCS students, employees and visitors to ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulatory agencies and rules and supports the CCS Accident Prevention Program. *
- Advise administrators, managers, and employees concerning safety best practices, rules and regulations. *
- Conduct environmental health and safety inspections for CCS activities and work practices to determine potential hazards and recommend corrective action to administrators to implement risk management solutions. Work with building safety representatives to inspect and monitor facilities. *
- Conduct ergonomic assessment as requested by employees. *
- Investigate and follow up accidents and injuries as needed. *
- Develop and conduct safety training programs. Make presentations on safety and hazard control programs as requested. Assist supervisors in developing job specific training. *
- Manage the College Hazardous Waste Program to ensure compliance with local, state and federal environmental regulations. *
- Provide appropriate annual reporting to regulatory agencies as required. *
- Attend campus and district safety steering committee meetings as an ad hoc member. *
- Assist with chemical spill response employee training and make inventory recommendations. *
- Consult with appropriate employees regarding activities that may be impacted by asbestos. *
- Consult and assist appropriate employees in investigating air quality issues and schedule and monitor radon test results. *
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform related duties as required. *
- Provide information for budget planning.
*Indicates this is an essential duty.
This position is designated a bargaining unit position and union membership is no longer a condition of employment.
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS)
- Bachelor’s degree with major study in safety management, safety engineering, biological or physical science, or closely related field from an accredited institution. Or an equivalent mix of education and experience that demonstrates the candidate meets all competency requirements for this position.
- Knowledge of accident prevention principles and environmental/safety program management.
- Knowledge of local, state and federal safety and environmental regulations.
- Knowledge of the operation of portable monitoring equipment normally used in environmental, health and safety inspections and surveys.
- Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills.
- Excellent training and presentation skills.
- Ability to interact professionally with all levels of employees.
- Ability to utilize computer programs in an office environment.
- Ability to maintain manual and electronic filing systems.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- A demonstrable understanding and acceptance of the mission, values, goals and objectives of CCS.
- The ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution, community and technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS)
- Three (3) or more years experience in environmental health and safety programs.
- Experience working with environmental health and safety regulatory agencies.
- Related experience in a large/complex organization with multiple sites.
- 40-hour Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Certification.
- DOT Hazardous Materials Transportation Certification.
- OSHA 30-Hour General Industry Training.